Sunday 30 December 2012

2012

So it's nearly the end of another year and it's got me thinking about how good of a year it's been for my back and all the things I've managed to do. At the start of the year I was still doing physio, my back still felt weak and stiff and I was scared of doing things which might cause damage.

As the year progressed, I found myself gaining more strength and more confidence to push myself as I began to realise that I'm stronger and can do more than I first thought.  


My scoliosis surgery gave me a new zest for life and one of my resolutions last year was to try new things and get as much as I can out of life, despite my back condition.

This year I have climbed mount Snowdon in Wales, which was very difficult and a huge personal challenge for me, travelled to Marrakech, Turkey and Denmark, bought my first car, taken up Zumba (which I never thought I'd be able to do post surgery) completed a web design course and started a Masters degree in digital marketing communications whilst working full time, which keeps me very busy! 2012 was also the year I was given the all clear by my surgeon that finally, after over 10 years of annual scoliosis checkups, I now no longer need to go back to the hospital for X-rays each year.

My back has also never felt stronger, although I still get the odd pain days, I don't take painkillers as frequently anymore and I can now bend and pick things up more easily, although my grabber still comes in handy especially when tidying things off the floor. I also still believe, even though it's been two years since my surgery, that there is still a way to go and it will continue to improve over the coming months. 

The important thing is a couple of years ago my back condition consumed me, now I rarely think about it and get on with my life - and for that I am thankful.

I hope that in 2013 I can continue to push myself, aim high and not let my scoliosis hold me back, so to speak ;)

Happy new year!

Louise x

Image by pepemczolz via Flickr


2 comments:

Mikaela said...

I just won´t to say that i´m so glad i found your blog! It has really helpt me to be positive trough my operation. I live in Sweden and had my surgery in february 2012 (Th2-L1). This journey has been very difficult with ups and downs. I have still got pain and problems with my back and legs and really hope things will get better with time! Thank you for sharing your story!!!
Mikaela, PiteƄ (north of Sweden)

Unknown said...

Thank you Mikaela that means a lot :)