Monday 23 January 2012

Haircuts post scoliosis surgery: A pain in the neck (literally!)


So I had my hair done this weekend and it reminded me that having my hair cut is one thing that I absoltuely hate doing post scoliosis surgery, that and shaving my legs. I try to put it off for as long as possible but some things are just unavoidable.

The problem is that going to the hairdressers is now a completely different experience from pre-surgery, and not an enjoyable one at that. This is mainly because I can't bend my back to slouch into the hairdresser's chair so I end up perching on the end of the chair sitting straight up or leaning back with my shoulder's touching the top of the chair and a huge gap between my lower back and the back of the chair! It's safe to say that sitting this way for a fair few hours is no fun.

The worst part is leaning back to have my hair washed, it's sooo uncomfortable as I can't mould my back to the chair and end up again with the huge gap between my lower back and the back of the chair. I used to enjoy having my hair washed at the hairdressers but now I just want them to hurry up and get on with it so I can get out of that horrible seat. 

It's probably my own fault for having foils that take hours but hey beauty is pain and I may have a sore back after visiting the hairdressers post surgery but at least my hair looks good! ;-)

Next time I'll take a cushion...

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Louise,

I absolutely love reading your blog because I actually WORK in the orthopedic department at my hospital and every once in awhile we'll have a post-surgery Scoliosis patient.

Having Scoliosis myself, and seeing so many people going through the surgery, I am considering it myself. I'm glad you do these posts because it shows how hard the recovery is. I only see these patients until they go home =/

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer :) thank you for your lovely comments.

If this blog helps even 1 person I will be very happy!

It must be so interesting to work in the orthopaedic department :)I bet you learn alot.

It's a tough recovery but the most important thing to remember is that there IS life after scoliosis surgery :-D xx

Ps please let me know if you have any questions or want me to write any specific posts about something and I'll do my best to help!